Monday 6 July 2015

Day 8 - Castlecarry to Kilsyth

WE ARE HALF WAY!!!!

The end of this easy day means we are half way there!  It feels good.

Today was quite leisurely as far as walking goes.  The biggest bit of excitement was when two swans who had parked right on the canal path with their young hissed at us as we cautiously walked by.  Seriously, they should get together with the cows and compare notes!



It has been a little strange for me every morning.  When I wake up I feel a little hesitant and nervous about the day ahead, and wish I could just stay in my cozy sleeping bag.  But as soon as I get walking I feel excited about the day, and am so happy that I am here.  Maybe it's just laziness or fatigue that makes me not want to get up.

Today was a little different as we planned on sleeping in.  I made it all the way to 8:30, which was fine since it gave me lots of time to get everything ready.  I went to breakfast and had porridge, not oatmeal, and tea.  When I got back to the room I went over the maps for the next few days and made mental notes about where to get supplies, etc.  I woke Ben up at 11:15, and we checked out at 12:20.  The front desk lady was very kind and asked all about our trip.  When I asked if we could have a couple of oranges for the road she came back with the two oranges and two Mars bars.  So nice!

We had only planned for 10 km, and tore through that in under two hours.  We met a couple of fisherman along the way, but none seemed to be having any luck.  When we got to Kilsyth we walked up into town to get supplies and have a bite to eat.  We stopped at the Scarecrow Bar and Grill and had a drink while watching the UK track and field championships.  It was very relaxing.  When it started to pouring rain we ordered some snacks and hunkered down a while longer.



Once we were ready to leave we got all of our stuff together and headed out.  When we were searching for the beginning of the trail that would lead to where we thought we were going to camp a helpful gentleman came out and gave us some good advice.  Where we wanted to go was too difficult to get to.  He made some suggestions as alternatives and so we headed out again.  A couple of kilometres down the way we ran into another couple of fisherman who helped some more and we are now sitting on a hill in a park in a small town watching the sun set from our tent.  Not a bad end to an easy day!  The bonus is that we knocked about 2.5 km off of tomorrow's walk to get where we are tonight.  Sweet!

Sunset At Twechar Park


That' s it for now.  Will post this on our way tomorrow, but tomorrow's will be a day late.  Good night, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment