Friday 10 July 2015

Day 12 - Callander to Comrie

Day 12 provided some of the best scenery of the trip.  We walked from Callander to Comrie via the hills and pretty much saw nobody all day.  We had the whole place to ourselves. The weather cooperated giving us a cool, cloudy day, with frequent sunny breaks - no threat of rain, and no prolonged sun exposure.  I couldn't have asked for better.

We had a pretty good climb up Callander Craig right off the bat that gave us some beautiful views back over Callander and over to Loch Venacher.

View Of Loch Venacher From Callander Craig

Soon after that we were walking down Glen Artney on the flanks of Meall Odhar, and Tom Odhar.  It was very peaceful and relaxing walking along here, and it was a good opportunity to reflect on how far we have come.  I am very proud of what we've accomplished, and particularly how well Ben has dealt with so many challenging days in a row.  Though I think we have really enjoyed it, a recurring topic of discussion lately has been how many days are left, and what we are really looking forward to at home.  Of course family and friends first, but after that for me it is my slippers, and for Ben it is sleeping in late, in his own bed!!

First View Of Glen Artney

Final Stretch Into Comrie

Around 5:15 we rolled into Comrie for dinner.  Comrie is twin city to Carleton Place, Ontario, where I think there might be one or two readers from.  It is also next door to Perth, Ontario, where Ben's grandparents are all reading from.  I thought it was a neat coincidence.


The campground we are in tonight is nice.  The guy who showed us our spot warned us that the horse, Polly, in the field directly behind us,"has a woman's sense of humour, if you know what I mean, and she bites!!!"  I'm not sure I know exactly what he means, but I won't be petting Polly tonight!

We have 50 km to cover in the next two days between here and Aberfeldy.  There are no services between the two, so I am a little nervous about drinking water...  Last time we weren't able to find much when we needed it.  We will also be carrying more food than we usually do.  I will post an update when we come out the other side.  After that we will only have one more day of walking left.  It's hard to believe!

Good night everybody, and thanks again for reading.

Almost forgot, thing we learned today:
When you put your tent away wet and covered with a million midges, and don't open it for two days, it smells disgusting when you set it up next time.  Oh well, I guess we don't smell so hot ourselves.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment