Sunday 12 July 2015

Day 15 - Aberfeldy to Pitlochry

WE MADE IT!!!

After 15 days and about 350 km walking we arrived in Pitlochry early this afternoon to end our big adventure.

We Made It!!

The hiking gods were smiling on us once again as we had a dry pack-up, and cloudy with sunny breaks for the whole walk.  It was a very enjoyable last walk along the River Tay, over Dunfallandy Hill, and down into Pitlochry.

River Tay Snack


First View Towards Pitlochry

We checked into our swanky hotel, had showers, a little rest, and then went for a walk down Main Street.  We stopped at the Moulin Hotel, where my dad and I spent a few evenings the last time I was in Scotland. I think I am officially half Scottish now as I had deep fried haggis as an appetizer - I'm slowly working my way up to real full-blown haggis.

We are back at the hotel now, relaxing, and watching some TV.  Tomorrow morning we will be catching a train back to Edinburgh.  Tuesday night we head to Glasgow to catch our plane home on Wednesday morning.

Happy Feet

Thinking back on this trip I realize that I owe a big thank you to many people for making it possible:

First off, doing this alone would have been much more trying than it was, and somewhat meaningless.  Ben was stronger than I ever thought he could be.  When I felt like stopping he kept me going.  He kept me distracted when the days were getting long with in-depth discussions about Tanki, games of Would You Rather, or just contemplating life in general.  Thank you Ben for being such a great walking partner, and for not getting too mad at me when I was lost, or when I was being short with you.

Secondly, this trip would not have happened if Mandy hadn't encouraged me to do it.  I probably would have spent a lot of time thinking about it, but not doing anything about it.  Thanks, cheeky monkey, for encouraging me to do it.  And thanks for calling us exactly when we needed a little boost - when we were trapped by a about a billion midges outside of our tent after a long day walking.  I hope that if I ever get to come back here that you will be with me, as I am sure you will find it as beautiful as I do, and enjoy the people as much as I do.  Love you.

Next, the people of Scotland have been amazing.  Whether it was filling up water bottles, giving us Mars bars, or providing timely directions, it was all very much appreciated.  Above all, your kind and curious nature made for some very enjoyable and entertaining conversation.

Finally, to everybody who has been reading our blog.  There were some pretty long and trying days, but knowing that there were people reading our posts every day made us feel like we weren't alone.  Without a doubt this gave us some extra energy and motivation to keep going.  I hope was able to tell an interesting story, and I hope you all enjoyed the trip as much as we did.

I think that's it for tonight.  As mentioned,  I will be posting from Edinburgh tomorrow, and Glasgow the next day.  It will be nice to tour around a bit, but I'm looking forward to getting home to see Amanda and the boys, and the Friday Night Dice Crew - Mark (a.k.a. pal), Jenni-with-an-I, Gerry Pepito May, and Farmer Audrey!!

Nighty night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment